Welcome

Thursday 23 March 2017

A dozen of my top tips

Watching the birds come to my garden is a real and unexpected pleasure, and more than justifies any effort I put into providing their food.  On this basis I would really encourage you to give this easy hobby a try.  I've learned a few lessons along the way and below are my top tips for maximising the number and variety of birds that visit your garden.


  • Only offer fresh food.  If it is old or stale throw it away and put out fresh food.
  • Keep your feeders clean - it will help stop diseases.
  • Offer a variety of foods to attract different species of birds.
  • Use different types of feeder,  For example fat balls can be crumbled and put on a bird table as well as put in a hanging feeder.
  • Remember to offer a supply of clean water.
  • Don't put out too much food at once - it will go off if not eaten within a few days.
  • Don't let your feeders lie empty.  Birds will visit you every day and rely on the food you supply.
  • Don't scrimp, buy good quality food from a reputable supplier.
  • Store your seed in rat proof containers.
  • When washing and drying your feeders, use any spare feeders you have (and you might consider buying some) to provide an uninterrupted service to your birds.
  • Dispose of stale seed in bio-degradable bags - I pay less than a penny a bag on ebay.
  • Have a supply of kitchen roll at hand to give your feeders a quick wipe between more thorough washes.
These are the 5 litre waste bags I use.  They are less than 1p each

No comments:

Post a Comment