Welcome

Thursday 23 February 2017

Mixed Seed

Curiously, I've not had much success with general seed mixes in my garden.  I'm not sure why as I've used different types of feeder and placed it on a bird table for ground-feeding birds like Robins and Blackbirds.

My best guess is, the are all eating the sunflower seeds I put out instead! Anyway, don't let my failure put you off as mixed seed is big business so someone somewhere must be eating it.

But before you buy, compare the two pictures below:


The seed on top, the one I use, is about twice the price of the seed in the lower picture.  But don't be tempted by the low priced stuff as it's full of wheat (the brown oval grains) which birds generally don't like and ignore.  This is often referred to as 'filler' and is used to bulk up the bag and make it look like you are getting lots for your money when in fact all you are getting is lots of wasted seed.

So push the boat out and buy the better quality food - perhaps even look for 'wheat-free' mixes. Certainly look at the ingredients of the bag and if looks like the lower picture, or wheat is listed first or second, avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment